Yes, I know.. I’ve been gone. But in my defense, this pregnancy has been tough. I’ve gone from being bedridden with “morning” (read: all day) sickness to being bedridden with a kidney infection due to the heightened hormones in my body. It’s been a wild ride, to say the least, but I’m now in week 16 and I believe that I’ve gotten a good handle on all of that. Hurray!
Other than a rocky first trimester, things are going great! My baby belly is really starting to stick out in such a way that I actually look pregnant and not like I just ate a big lunch. I’m loving it. And the hubby and I have decided that we’re not going to be one of those cool let-this-be-a-surprise-baby couples. We’re going to find out the baby’s sex. I’m a highly impatient person and so is Matt. We simply have to know what this little peanut is going to be. We’ll be doing that on March 30th. Like I said, exciting stuff.
And though I’ll soon be finding out whether this little peanut is going to be a guy or a gal, I still thought it would be fun to create a post in which I test out all of the old wives tales I’ve been hearing about throughout the last 16+ weeks. It seems like a nice way to entertain myself (and hopefully all of my readers), yeah? So here we go:
- The Chinese Calendar. This one was extremely accurate with my first pregnancy. It predicted “girl” on all of the ones I checked.
Results: Boy and Girl. Sadly, I can’t get a straight answer. I get a different one depending on the site that I check.
- Carry Test. They say that if you’re carrying high, it’s a girl. If you’re carrying low, it’s a boy. This proved true with my first pregnancy. Haley was so far up in my belly, I felt like I had a foot in my ribs and I was unable to breathe no matter what position I sat, stood or laid in.
Results: Boy. I’m carrying extremely low this time around. Like for real. I can’t stand up and not feel like my bladder is not being bounced on. I also feel like I waddle already. It’s crazy!
- Acne or Dry Hands. They say that if you break out or have blemishes of any kind, it’s a girl because girls steal your beauty while they’re growing in your belly. If you have dry hands, it’s a boy. I have no idea why.
Results: Boy and Girl. I’ve broken out slightly. Only twice, so I don’t know if that counts. My hands are extremely dry though. Dry to the point of cracking on several occasions, actually. I’m not sure. if the hand thing officially trumps the blemish thing. I can’t find any sites that specify.
- The “Ring Swing.” Take off your wedding ring, tie it to a string and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, you’re having a boy. Back and forth means girl.
Results: Girl. I tried this test twice and both times it swung back and forth.
- Heartbeat. Over 150 beats per minute means girl. Under means boy.
Results: Boy. The heartbeat has been between 140 and 146 at all of the appointments that I’ve gone to so far.
- Cravings. Sweet things means girl. Salty or sour things means boy.
Results: Boy and Girl. I’m not craving anything specific. I’ve been craving everything. All of the things. Anything that comes up in a TV commercial that looks delicious, I crave. Anything that looks delicious in the grocery store? I crave. The only thing that I cannot even look at is chicken. I’m just disgusted by the mere thought of it.
- The Mayans. You take your age of conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one is even and one is add, it’s a boy.
Results: Boy. I was 27 at conception and the year was 2014.
- Dreams. If you dream about having a girl while you’re pregnant, it’ll be a boy. The same goes for when you dream about having a boy.
Results: Boy. I don’t know if it counts, but both my mother and a friend of mine have dreamt about me and my husband holding a little girl that they didn’t recognize while we were hanging out with them.
- Morning Sickness. If you have it, you’re having a girl. If not, it’s a boy.
Results: Girl. I’ve had it for the majority of the last 12 weeks.
These are all of the old wives tales I’ve been informed of and many of their results point to us having a boy. It’ll be quite interesting to find out how accurate they are in this pregnancy. Some of them were pretty accurate with my first. If you know of any more that I haven’t, please let me know in the comments! While I don’t completely believe in them, they’re certainly fun to test out.
Also, for any of you lovely mamas out there who live in the Orlando/Central Florida area, I’ll be working at The Prego Expo in Orlando on March 28. I’ll be in the show and tell area discussing a few pregnancy and mama related products with the crowd. Let me know if you’re planning on going! I’d love to see you there. 🙂